Full course description
Room: YPAB 132
Days: Monday and Wednesday
Time: 12:15 PM - 1:30 PM
Start Date: 8/21/17
End Date: 12/11/17
Note: Non-Class Day - Labor Day 9/4/17
Description: Provides for participation with a select group of musicians who perform contemporary jazz and stage band music.
- To perform at least two concerts per term as part of the grade for the course.
- The student will attend all rehearsals and performances.
- The student will know the principles of good technique and apply them at all times.
- The student will learn standard jazz tunes in various styles and from the different eras of jazz.
- The student will learn the melodic and harmonic structure of these tunes.
- The student will be able to improvise over the harmonic structure in the style of the era.
- The student will play his or her part with good tone, even tempo, dynamics and musical phrasing.
- The student will learn about the challenges inherent with performing in ensemble. Such issues include, but are not limited to, listening to the other player's part and being sensitive to issues of balance, intonation, blend, and musical dialogue.
Required Text: Real Book 6th edition. Get the book/transposition for your instrument.
- Two Pencils
- Personal/Professional Calendar
Instructor: Robert Winslow - Music Instructor
Mr. Winslow has been active in the Tampa Bay area for over forty years and brings his background as a working musician to education. Known mainly as an accompanist, Mr. Winslow has worked with many of Tampa Bay's great musicians and with their students. Mr. Winslow is on the faculty of Hillsborough Community College at the Ybor City Campus where he teaches music theory, music appreciation and directs the stage band. He has collaborated on recordings with Amy Collins, Prof. of Oboe at USF and has worked with Mrs. Collins and Prof. Kim McCormick in the McCollwin Trio. Mr. Winslow also is the organist at Palma Ceia United Methodist Church in South Tampa.