Full course description
Collaboration Studio (HCS) at HCC
1602 N. 15th St.
Tampa, FL 33605 Map
Parking: Free parking is available in the surface lot at Collaboration Studio. Overflow parking is available in the 15th Street Garage behind Collaboration Studio. However, validation for the garage may not be available on nights and weekends, so students may be responsible for parking fees. If you park in the garage you must be out by 7:00 PM.
Time: 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM (1 hour lunch on your own)
Included in this workshop, two Couples Guides with one copy of The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work. This workshop is limited to a maximum of 6 couples.
Overview: This workshop is designed for couples in a committed relationship. This 6 hour workshop is designed to teach couples what successful couples do to foster romance and harmony in their relationships. Couples will learn how to build fondness, admiration, and closeness in their relationships, as well as conflict management while learning new and important communication skills. Couples work privately on exercises designed to address the challenges in real-life relationships.
Utilizing the principles and exercises from John Gottman’s book, The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work. The book is a summary of four decades of Gottman’s detailed research on couples and their habits, and what creates masters and disasters of relationships. The Seven Principles workshop is designed for ALL couples in a committed relationship.
The Seven Principles Workshop is not appropriate for:
Psycho-educational classes are not appropriate for all couples, including those with severe relationship distress, significant emotional or physical abuse, serious emotional or mental health problems, relationships where one or both partners are actively addicted to drugs or alcohol, and relationships with serious compulsive behavior with gambling, sexual acting out, and other disruptive behaviors. In these situations, couples counseling or individual counseling may be more appropriate.
- Foster respect, affection, and closeness
- Build and share a deeper connection with each other’s inner world
- Keep conflict discussions calm
- Break through and resolve conflict gridlock
- Strengthen and maintain the gains in your relationship
- Couples who have taken the temperature of their relationship and realize that they are more distant than they want to be.
- Couples who are in a stage of their relationship where they feel stuck and are experiencing some relationship distress.
- Newly married couples who realize they need more skills to make their marriage work long term.
- Pre-married couples who would like to learn the skills they need before they begin life together.
- Couples who have a good relationship but could use a tune-up to make it terrific.
- Couples who might be in a second marriage and would like to learn some new and better habits.
- The number one thing you should invest in to deepen the friendship base of your relationship.
- To maintain a strong connection even when life gets stressful.
- Understand conflict and the best strategies for managing conflict successfully.
- The insanely simple and easy to implement secrets behind the strongest, enduring, passion-filled relationships.
The Instructor: Robert Williams Jr., Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT)
I am a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (2017) in Florida, with over 6 years working in private practice helping people transform their lives and relationships. I am in private practice with offices in Temple Terrace and Brandon, Florida.
My clinical experience includes over 3000 hours counseling adolescents, adults, couples and families. I am an experienced relationship counselor who has been intensively trained in all 3 levels of the Gottman Couples Therapy Method, as well as the additional Gottman Method Trainings for Couples regarding Addiction Recovery. I am an authorized Gottman Seven Principles Program Educator and currently provides Gottman-Method couples counseling to couples from all backgrounds in my private counseling practice. In addition, I have been trained in the following models of couples and family counseling: PREPARE and ENRICH, Save Your Marriage before It Starts (SYMBIS), Deep Love, and Intimacy Therapy-a Christian approach to couples counseling. My goal is to help couples and families not merely heal their relationships, but to create relationships that are healing. I also offer expertise in Christian Counseling-as requested by clients.
Prior to becoming a full-time therapist. I served 21 years in the United States Air Force (USAF), retiring in 2004. After retiring, I was employed by the Hillsborough County Board of County Commissioners Human Resources Department from 2004-2010.
I currently reside in Riverview, Florida with my wife (USAF retired). Our only child (daughter) is currently serving in the United States Air Force. One of the things I like to do for fun and personal growth is running. One of my goals for 2018 is to complete a half-marathon. With a long-term goal of running in a full marathon in 2019.
Robert Williams Jr., LMFT.
phone: (813) 699-4837