Full course description
Collaboration Studio (YHCS) at HCC
1602 N. 15th St. (Corner of 15th St. and 5th Ave.)
Tampa, Fl 33605 Map
Parking: Free parking is available in the surface lot at Collaboration Studio. Overflow parking is available in the 15th Street Garage behind Collaboration Studio. Parking ticket validation for the garage may not be available on nights and weekends; students are responsible for parking garage fees.
Time: 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
Note: If Services for Students with Disabilities/special accommodations are needed, please visit: https://www.hccfl.edu/support-services/services-students-disabilities
This course is designed to teach the basics of ASL and Deaf Culture. You will learn how to hear with your eyes. Many activities are conducted to improve signing and receptive skills and since this is the only moving language in the world, participation is key! You will learn the manual alphabet and learn the grammatical rules and syntax of ASL. This course will be delivered through two hours of Signing and discussion about Deaf culture.
We invite you to embark on a new language and get ready to learn about ASL and Deaf culture.
Assessment: You will be assessed everyday in class, however the goal before exiting includes;
1. Creating and presenting a narrative about yourself based on vocabulary and grammatical structures you have learned.
2. Writing about an experience involving Deaf people or Deaf Culture. More details on these assignments will be explained on the first of class.
Learning Outcomes: Upon completion of this course, you should be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of Deafness & Deaf Culture.
- Demonstrate basic knowledge of the history and syntax of ASL.
- Demonstrate how to introduce yourself in ASL.
- Aware of the concerns, common issues & values of the Deaf community.
Instructor: Phyllis Gaines, is a certified American Sign Language (ASL) educator for 18 years in the state of Florida. Phyllis has taught at public, private and recreational facilities. Earned a Master of Science (MS) degree in Leisure Services Administration, and obtained a Management certificate from Gallaudet University, the only Deaf University in the world. ✨
Refund Policy: Refunds, Cancellations & Substitutions