Full course description
Collaboration Studio (HCS) at HCC
1602 N. 15th St. (Corner of 15th St. and 5th Ave.)
Tampa, Fl 33605 Map
Parking: Free parking is available in the surface lot at Collaboration Studio. Overflow parking is available in the 15th Street Garage behind Collaboration Studio. However, validation for the garage may not be available on nights and weekends, so students may be responsible for parking fees. If you park in the garage you must be out by 7:00 PM.
Room: HCS 132
Days: Mondays & Wednesdays from 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm
Start Date: 10/07/2019
End Date: 11/06/2019
Description: In this course, students will acquire the skills to understand applications of problem solving using the Python programming language. The skills students learn in this course will help deepen their scientific thinking to be used in technology-based careers. From the first day in this course, students will learn how to use the topics learned in the course to develop Python projects. Mastery of the Python programming language will lead to an understanding of its syntax, libraries, implementations, and uses, and data structures.
This course is project-based, which means that students will build on files they develop in this course to create larger pieces that could be incorporated in a portfolio.
General Topics: Students will understand and acquire the following skills:
- Basics of IDLE and Command prompt
- Built-In types and operations of python
- How to use simple statements and syntax related to the “conceptual hierarchy”
- Building functions to create statements of code to pass arguments.
Prerequisites: No previous experience with programming. However students must have access to a PC with a high speed internet connection, basic computer literacy and be able to:
- Open, Save and upload files
- Interact with the instructor and other students via email, the Canvas (LMS) Learning Management System and other web based forums as required.
Who should attend?: Anyone who wants to learn the fundamentals of the Python Programming language.
Textbook(s): Learning Python: Powerful Object-Oriented Programming 5th edition by Mark Lutz
- The textbook is included in your tuition and will be distributed by the instructor on the first day of class.
Instructor: Cameron Crowson