Full course description
HCC Dale Mabry Campus
4001 W Tampa Bay Blvd
Tampa, FL 33614
Dates: Please note, this course is not self-paced. Offering dates TBD
Who should attend? For licensed registered nurses. This skill-based, accelerated course utilizes HCC's state-of-the-art High-Fidelity Simulation Suites to provide enhanced clinical experiences as a refresher for those who have been out of the workforce for several years or those that want to improve clinical skills. This is not a remedial course to re-obtain a state nursing license
The following are included in the course fee:
- Simulation Learning System from Shadow Health
- 8x 8-hour shifts in medical/surgical lab at a local hospital (Sundays and Mondays available)
- Drug Screen and Level 2 background check for optional clinical experience
Accreditation: HCC is an approved provider of continuing education for nurses through FBN 50-941. This program has been approved for 76 contact hours.
Course Description: This course updates and evaluates the skills of nurses who have not been in the workforce for several years. Utilizing the state-of-the-art High-Fidelity Simulation Suites located at the HCC Dale Mabry Campus, this course provides enhanced clinical experiences featuring computerized medication administration and documentation, hands-on skills training, and knowledge update of nursing care.
The simulation sessions provide clinical skills practice that can be tailored to the needs of each student and is often more valuable than clinical hours at a hospital/medical center. This course also offers optional clinical experience at a local hospital medical/surgical unit.
Students will receive a certificate of completion with letter for potential employers endorsing the training received.
Student Learning Outcomes:
After completion of this course, the RN should be able to:
- Identify current accepted practice guidelines for the management of commonly encountered adult medical/surgical conditions in acute care, home care, and long-term care.
- Apply the nursing process and demonstrate critical thinking while caring for the client experiencing medications conditions in a variety of healthcare settings.
- Describe and perform the techniques used for a comprehensive health assessment of the adult patient.
- Work efficiently within an electronic medical record system to capture patient information and charting.
- Identify legal and ethical dimensions of patient care responsibilities.
- Identify current safe practice standards according to ANA standard of Nursing Practice and JCAHO National Patient Safety Goals.
- Complete the skills validation exam with a minimum of 80% upon completion of the course.
- Utilize patient data to formulate a plan involving ethics, evidenced based practice, nursing process, leadership, and resource utilization. Prioritizes the patient plan of care.
Course Requirements for Clinical Training Experience:
· Background Check- A level 2 background check will be conducted through Hillsborough Community College. Students with felonies, especially those related to child or elder abuse are not allowed to participate in the clinical rotation. Visit the Agency for Health Care Administration (AHCA to see if you are eligible to work in healthcare if you have criminal a history. Person’s with criminal history may be able to obtain and exemption from AHCA to provide eligibility for employment in a healthcare setting. A failed background check will result in removal from the program with no refund.
· Drug Screening- Students are required to have a 10-panel drug screen. If the urine screen is positive, the student will receive a call from the medical review officer at the testing center asking you to provide documentation of prescriptive medication. If proper documentation cannot be provided, the failed drug screen will result in removal from the program with no refund. NOTE: Healthcare facilities will not allow students or employees to use marijuana, even with state medical approval for marijuana use. Any positive marijuana drug screen result, regardless of medical approval for use, will still result in removal from the program with no refund.
· Physical Exam/Immunizations
Students must get a medical physical exam including a 2-stage TB skin test and must provide proof that all immunizations are up to date including: Influenza, Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Chickenpox, Hepatitis B, TDAP. If the student has a medical issue that can affect their participation in the program, they should advise HCC immediately. We do not recommend taking classes that include phlebotomy/specimen collection and if you are pregnant, or plan on becoming pregnant due to exposure risk. Your physician must complete and sign the Students Health and Immunization Certification Forms. All exams, tests and vaccines are required. Your healthcare provider will need to complete required HCC forms available to you once your register. THESE MUST BE COMPLETED, SUBMITTED and APPROVED within 2 weeks after the first class.
Questions? Email email@example.com. We are happy to help you!