Clinical Medical Assistant (CMA)- (08/10/23-12/05/23)
Aug 10, 2023 - Dec 5, 2023
Spots remaining: 20
Full course description
Course Date and Time:
08/10/23 to 12/05/23 + 100 hours of optional Clinical Training (additional $200 fee after class begins).
Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 5:30 p.m. to 10 p.m.
Instructor: Lebron, Allado, Perez-Gonzalez
Who should attend? Anyone over the age of 18 with high school diploma or GED.
Course format: Live lecture, in-person skills labs, Online assignments, clinical training (optional)
This course includes online presentations, interactive support with the instructor, and in-person training labs during the class days and times. The optional 100 hour clinical experience will take place after the course end date (additional registration fee applies $200).
Course Location: HCC Dale Mabry Campus 4001 W Tampa Bay Blvd. Tampa, FL 33614 Technology Building Room DTEC 361
Course technology requirements: Desktop/laptop computer, Chromebook or tablet with internet connection and Chrome browser. Though a mobile phone will work, it may make doing online work more challenging.
The following are included in the course fee:
· 220+ hours of combined classroom lectures, online self-study and simulation lab.
· All course materials
· NHA Study Package and Exam fee for one attempt (Phlebotomy and EKG are separate)
· BLS Certification
Catalog Description: Enter into the world of healthcare today by performing functions related to the physician's clinical responsibilities in the outpatient/private medical office. Learn and perform methods of preparing patients for examination and treatment, routine laboratory procedures, specimen collection including blood collection (phlebotomy), running live electrocardiographs (EKGs) and recognizing heart rhythms. Gain hands on experience with critical procedures and concepts in phlebotomy, EKG, pharmacology, professional workplace behavior, ethics and the legal aspects of healthcare. You will also complete an introduction to medical terminology, healthcare etiquette and healthcare customer service to stand apart from others in a competitive job market.
Once you complete the training program with/without the optional clinical hours, you will receive a certification of completion for the CMA training program and be eligible for certification testing included in your registration fee. You may also be eligible for the Phlebotomy and EKG technician exams through National Healthcareer Association (www.nhanow.com) receiving a total of 3 certifications! (Additional Phlebotomy, EKG, fees paid separately.) Click here for more course details.
Optional Clinical Experience ($200):
Upon completion of the course, HCC will place you at a medical clinic to receive 100 hours of clinical experience. You will be assigned to a clinical site that is flexible with your schedule. It is recommended that you are available 16 - 40 hours per week. Clinicals are typically held at outpatient medical centers or private practices. You must have a flexible schedule and access to transportation.
EKG Technician- The EKG portion of the CMA program includes the NHA requirements of running 10 live EKGs. After you complete this part of the curriculum, you will receive a certification of completion for EKG training and be eligible for certification testing. (Additional testing fees apply)
Phlebotomy- The phlebotomy training portion of the CMA program includes performing 30 venipunctures and 10 capillary sticks in class. For those interested in becoming certified as a Phlebotomy Technician, a total of 30 venipunctures are required.
Upon successful completion of the course, each participant should be able to:
- Describe the function of the clinical medical assistant in a medical office
- Use and understand medical terminology
- Describe anatomy of each of the body systems to include the heart, conduction system, circulation of the heart and blood vessels
- Discuss care & safety of patients, medical & legal aspects and work ethics
- Use effective verbal and non-verbal communication
- Improve interpersonal skills and human behavior
- Submit in prescriptions to various pharmacies
- Follow confidentiality and HIPAA
- Take accurate patient medical histories
- Update patient medical files
- Instruct patients on proper usage of medications
- Take vital signs and properly document results
- Perform phlebotomy including venipuncture and capillary sampling
- Collect non-blood specimens and point of care testing
- Perform 12 lead EKGs, EKG strip analysis (P,Q,R,S,T wave form)
- Prepare and assist with medical examinations
- Take blood pressure and body temperatures
- Apply sterile dressings
- Prepare patients for x-rays
- Perform various injections
- Perform peripheral IVs
- Administer oral medications
- Utilize aseptic technique and infection prevention
- Assist with minor surgeries
- Properly use and disposal of biohazards and sharps
Financial Assistance: Need help paying for some or all of this course? Visit our Financial Assistance Page.
If you are between the ages of 16 and 24 with a high school diploma or GED, you may qualify for a local grant. Please visit www.careersourcetampabay.com.
Check out our Pre-Payment Plan.
Check out the Opendoor scholarship!
Requirements for Optional Clinical Training Experience ONLY (separate $200 registration fee after class starts):
Background Check- A level 2 background check will be conducted through Hillsborough Community College. Students with felonies, especially those related to child or elder abuse are not allowed to participate in the clinical rotation. Visit the Agency for Health Care Administration (AHCA) to see if you are eligible to work in healthcare if you have criminal a history. Person’s with criminal history may be able to obtain and exemption from AHCA to provide eligibility for employment in a healthcare setting. A failed background check will make you ineligible for the optional clinical experience but will not prevent you from completing the class.
Drug Screening- Students are required to have a 10-panel drug screen. If the urine screen is positive, the student will receive a call from the medical review officer at the testing center asking you to provide documentation of prescriptive medication. If proper documentation cannot be provided, the failed drug screen will make you ineligible for the optional clinical experience but will not prevent you from completing the class. NOTE: Healthcare facilities will not allow students or employees to use marijuana, even with state medical approval for marijuana use. Any positive marijuana drug screen result, regardless of medical approval for use, will prevent you from attending the optional clinical experience.
Students must get a medical physical exam including a 2-stage TB skin test and must provide proof that all immunizations are up to date including: Influenza, COVID-19 Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Chickenpox, Hepatitis B, TDAP. If the student has a medical issue that can affect their participation in the program, they should advise HCC immediately. We do not recommend taking classes that include phlebotomy/specimen collection and if you are pregnant, or plan on becoming pregnant due to exposure risk. Your physician must complete and sign the Students Health and Immunization Certification Forms. All exams, tests and vaccines are required unless you have a medical or religious exemption. Your healthcare provider will need to complete required HCC forms available to you once your register.
· Your High School should have your immunization records if you have graduated within the past 3 years.
· If you grew up in Florida, you can request your vaccine records here: https://flshotsusers.com/resources/frequently-asked-questions
· Your primary care doctor may have copies of your immunizations.
· Physicals and immunizations are free in many health insurance plans including Medicaid and may be completed with your primary care doctor.
Refunds, Cancellations & Substitutions policy:
Please note that any cancellations must be received in writing before the class start date to receive a full refund.
Questions? Please call email email@example.com. We are happy to help you!